Monday, November 26, 2007

I think back to when I was a teenager, even when I was in my 20's, and I just can't believe how I thought I knew what life was all about. It kind of makes me cringe a little. As I sit here at 36 yrs. old, I look back and realize I knew very little about life and how every circumstance that happened throughout the years molded who I am today. I realize more and more everyday that the people I have met, the places I've been, the situations i've been through, have all been for a purpose. Little did I know that one day, this light bulb would go off and I see how everything comes twofold. My friend Karen came into my life in college. I never knew why she came into my life back then. all I know was she was great to be around and I thought she was such a good, fun person. Over the last couple of years she has come back into my life. And now I realize why.

Her path was meant to have crossed mine. I have been reading her journal, if you will, intently since she has been caring for her mom and I am convinced, her story has made my light shine. I have never met anyone like her before. I have never known anyone with her courage, strength and faith. I have never known anyone with a heart like hers. I think about her mom and how happy she much be to have Karen with her, how much peace that is giving her. I think if I had never met Karen, the light would have never gone off and I wouldn't be sitting here tonight thinking about why this friend came into my life so many years ago. God knew I needed a person like Karen and in His own sweet time, He showed me why.

I have been thinking about Karen and her mom a lot and I pray for her comfort, for these last days together to be filled with peace. The light has gone off. It's not about the clothes you wear, the square footage of your house, the car you drive, the vacations you take...it's so much more than that. It all comes down to the life after this one on earth, where we will all be together again.

You are one amazing person, Karen and I am so grateful to have met you in college and that we can still call each other friends. I pray for you and your mom everyday.

3 comments:

Chris said...

Really beautiful, DeAnn. She very much needs to read this.

Karen said...

Thank you, DeAnn. I feel the same about you. :-)

I want to be careful, though. I am really not such a great person, but I have a great God living in me. None of this would be possible without Him, because on my own I'm pretty much a selfish brat. God gets all the credit for anything good in me.

carey said...

look at us all. we are one big mushfest :) it's good, isn't it?