Tuesday, April 17, 2007

There are two times every year in my children's lives where even though it's a happy occasion, I can't help but to feel a little sad. One is their birthdays and the other is the first/last day of school. Am I crazy? Last Sunday we celebrated my son's birthday. He turned 10 and is the coolest, most awesome 4th grader I know. Okay I know I'm his mom and all but he also rocks my world. We had a great day with grandpa, got Packer stuff and a new golf bag for his clubs. The best part was telling him we were going to a Packer/Viking game in September...his chance to see Brett Farve in action other than our basement big screen. The look on his face was priceless. And then it hit. Wow, he's ten years old. 3 more years and he'll be a teenager...8 more years and he'll leave home for college. Time just goes so fast. I don't think I realize it until birthdays and those school days come up. I know I'm a little more wierd about this than most which is why I don't say much about it. I know I can't stop time but I just wish it would last a little longer. He's growing into a great person...very athletic, smart, kind, spiritual. I am proud of him. Just when I finally get used to the idea of him being 10, 11 will roll around! Sheesh, will I ever be normal?!?!

4 comments:

Susan said...

I so know what you are talking about this is going by way too fast. So glad your big little guy had a great birthday. Bet he will be counting down the days until the pilgrimage to Lambeau.

carey said...

i tell my boys they don't get to have birthdays anymore. i just can't handle them growing up, but at the same time, i love watching it happen.
this fast growing thing...THIS is why my mother-in-law had 12 kids.

i guess you could always go that route :)

Karen said...

You're definitely not alone, DeAnn. I don't want to waste one single minute of this precious time. Your writing about it is a great reminder for us all.

Unknown said...

you are SOSOSOSOSOSO normal, it hurts.