Thursday, October 05, 2006


I took the kids out to the nature trail in Yankton last weekend. It was so nice and thought it would be a great day to take Christmas pictures. Plus we could take a little stroll on the trail and take in all the pretty colors of fall. Sounded perfect right? It started out great...




...then they started to get a little silly. "Let's be farmers and put the wheat in our mouths..." They giggled. Even I laughed. Okay it was funny and cute. But only once. Come on kids, I just need a few more shots for Christmas cards. Just give me five more minutes, a few more smiles and we'll be done...



My 4 yr. old decided it was just too much walking. But I couldn't carry her, I had my camera, tripod and lenses with me. Come on, baby girl. I encouraged her we were almost there. I started praying for patience. Please God...She finally joined up with the rest of us. The 50 cent bribe helped...





...hmmm, these flowers look interesting. "Can I pick some and bring them home?" Okay I said. Whatever you want, let's just keep moving. The 15 minute picture shoot was ending up taking an hour. She loves exploring. But by now it was getting hot...they were getting thirsty. Great, I didn't bring anything to drink. Now what?!


Whew. My son to the rescue. " Hey, here's a water spicket. I'll see if it works." It did and everyone got a drink. Including their clothes. By this time, I was sweating bullets. It's harder taking pictures of my own kids than customers! We kept on trekking. My bh called on the phone. "Where are you?" I told him it taking a little longer than expected. He laughed. By now the bribe was up to a dollar...



...we LOVE our brother. He didn't quite feel the love. Right after this shot, they all rolled in the grass. They were really hot by now and ready to get out of those sweaters! Mom, are we done?!






Finally, and hour and 3 dollars later, I got the picture. Someday they will appreciate this picture. Okay, maybe not. But I'll remember how hard it was getting them to cooperate and they did. And had some fun along the way. And what's really cool is they smiled and got along just for me. Here's to this years Christmas card. Thank you God for my wonderful blessings whom I love with all my heart...but I'm sure glad I only have to do this once a year....:)


Whew!





4 comments:

bobbione8y said...

oh my gosh - what a great photo!! perfect, just perfect.

that is exactly how i feel every time i art direct a photo shoot, i am so nervous and know that "window of opportunity" is so short!

but i'll tell ya what, your kids are so cute even the "not as good" shots are really good :)))

great job, mom.

bobbi

DeAnn said...

Thank you so much! I still get so nervous too before every photo shoot because you never know how it's going to go. Especially with kids. But they are my favorite to shoot.

Thanks again!

DeAnn

Chris said...

I second what Bobbi said. All the pictures were great, but when I got to the last one, even before I read what you wrote, I knew that was the one! I'll say it again you guys have gorgeous kids!

carey said...

Deann

Sweaters in the sun...you are one brave shuttermomma! My kids would have had the meltdown long before yours did. Ha. They are so beautiful Deann, you have to be proud. I love little Emerson's haircut, she looks so spunky. Can't wait to hang my card on the fridge :)