Friday, July 25, 2008




The national archery tournament has been in town all week. People from all over the U.S. are here competing for the top prize of $12,000. My husband and I took part in a small part and shot a tournament called the Whitetail Classic. It was 3 hours of shooting at 3D targets. In other words, fake animals. The closer you are to hitting the vitals, the more points you get. I only lost 3 arrows. Yes, lost them. Completely shot over the animal/target. I asked if you could get a point for effort but no luck. Anyway, it was a lot of fun to be hanging out with my better half, asking for pointers all along the route. And it was fun to see these guys seriously shooting with their top notch gear and matching shirts. Most of them were very friendly and seemed to be loving our town.


I learned a ton doing this little shoot. Like how not to shoot over the target and shooting the bear in the arm will not save your life. It was fun and I'd do it again. This time bringing some extra arrows with me.

3 comments:

Karen said...

That's so cool, DeAnn. I'll have to ask my uncle if he was there. Pretty soon you'll be schoolin' the old guys, showing them how it's done.

carey said...

you are my hero. i saw that yankton is a huge site for archery, and you're getting a big new archery facility there.

can't wait to see a post of your first trophy!

Chris said...

Good for you DeAnn, keep it up!