Monday, January 08, 2007

A couple of weeks before Christmas I was called to take family pictures. Nothing unusual right? This family sitting impacted my life in a way I can't describe. I knew the people, never had met them but I knew one of their daughters was in my son's class. And I knew her daddy was dying of brain cancer. This family was actually on Amy Grant's 3 Wishes show a couple of years ago and they got a house Brookings so they could take care of him. Well, they decided to move to Yankton last year to be closer to their entire extended family. I knew why they wanted to have pictures taken. I knew this would be his last Christmas and I was prepared for it.

I thought I was. When I got to their country home, everyone was so happy. All the kids were running around playing and the parents were sitting at a table playing cards. They had a space cleared away in front of the fireplace for the pictures and an "aisle" to bring in Bill. I met his wife and she told me they weren't quite ready for me yet, she was giving Bill some oxygen. I was immediately saddened but just kept smiling. So we started taking pictures of the kids together, all the cousins and their individual families. I realized Bill had 5 kids, the oldest only being 14 years old. All I could think about was how strong they were. Then it was time for the entire family shot and they brought out Bill. He had to come in a harness type of machine as he could sit up by himself. He looked at me and I gave him a warm smile. I could sense he knew what was going on but couldn't communicate it. They propped him up in a chair in the middle of the group and we arranged everyone around him. His youngest daughter who was 6 years old brought out a brush and began brushing his hair. "You need to look nice for the pictures, daddy"...was her comment. How precious. So we took the pictures and I knew the importance of each shot. Then Bill's wife wanted one with him alone. As she scooted herself up to him, he slowly turned his head to look at her and he just gazed at her as that was all he could do. His eyes spoke to her and I snapped a picture of them just looking at each other. It was a very special moment. I could feel it. After the pictures were done, I drove home kind of numb at that point. But as I started to tell my bh about it, the tears just flowed. What a strong man. A strong family. There was a lot of love in that home.

The pictures were ready in a week and I hand delivered them. A couple more weeks went by and although I knew it was coming, the shock of reading his obituary in the paper on Dec. 30 made me go numb again. He was only 39 years old. I couldn't help but to pull up those pictures again and look at them. I couldn't believe how these photos would be a part of his families lives forever.

I met this man and was with him and his family for an hour. But it was an hour that changed my heart. These children have pictures of their one last Christmas with their daddy and I was so honered and so humbled to a part of that. I know God meant for me to be there, for me to experience this side of life. And so I pray for the kids. I tell my son to help his classmate, because she may need to have someone to talk to at times. Or just someone to make her laugh. Life is so precious and these people knew it. A picture is worth a thousand words and a thousand feelings. They are treasured by his children, his wife, his family. And by me, who knew him for an hour. An hour I will never regret. Thank you, God, for that.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

what an amazing blessing you gave that family, I had to read this a couple of times because my eyes were blurred with tears...thanks for sharing.

bobbione8y said...

aw, DeAnn, you had to go and make me cry today too, thank you for sharing with us.

yes, God has been readying you for this gift, this talent, that He wants to use in you!

remember when we talked about business plans? i think your business already is about as successful as it could get :)) you are a blessing to those people whose pics you snap, and they are one to you...

Karen said...

I've been thinking about this for days, DeAnn. I'm not sure I could have done it. I'm thankful that God used you and will continue to use you to pray for this family. What an honor.

carey said...

you gave that family such a great gift, and i know you were there for a reason. this is a rough one...i'm going to be thinking on it for awhile. right now, i gotta go get a tissue. i love you, man.

bobbione8y said...

39 years old.

WOW. that should make all of us think, huh?

yep, still thinking about this fam, too.

Chris said...

I remember seeing that episode of Three Wishes, I was really moved then. I don't know how you got through that hour without crying on the spot, especially during the shot with just him and his wife. That was an amazing story.