Friday, December 08, 2006

No photos for this one...you'll see why.

Have you ever tried giving an 85 pound dog a bath who doesn't want a bath? I did and I tell you it was no easy task. We are talking about a dog who will jump head first into the lake but won't step into a couple of inches of water in the tub. What's up with that?!? So normally I would have just bagged the idea but he HAD to have a bath. Needless to say, a lab likes to wander and he just happened to wander into the neighbor's garbage. He smelled...bad. I couldn't stand it. So I locked him in the bathroom so he couldn't escape and it took me like 10 minutes to get him in. It was like lifting a 200 pound weight. My youngest daughter, bless her heart, came in to help. After some convincing, we finally got the big lug into the tub. I started washing him down...darn, I forgot to get "his" shampoo. I wasn't about to leave him so I grabbed the baby shampoo. I figured if he smelled like baby, that would be okay. The actual washing part went pretty smoothly. Then it was time to get out. And out he came. Water was everywhere along with black hair and a few dollops of slobber. My daughter was laughing and grabbed a towel to dry him off. I knew once I opened the door he would start rolling around on the carpet, couch and anything else he could find. I really wanted to contain the dog hair in once spot. I grabbed the hair dryer and began to get him dry as fast as possible. My daughter immediately grabbed a comb and started "grooming" him. I thought to myself if someone were watching this, it would be really, really, funny....finally, he was dry, clean and smelled just like a baby. I let him out. He slid on the floor as his paws slipped on the water laiden tile. I took a deep breath...whew. The dog looked great but I was a mess. Not to mention the bathroom. I spent the next hour cleaning up. I knew right away I was not meant for the dog grooming business.

And next time, I may just skip the dog bath and take one myself!

5 comments:

bobbione8y said...

he he he...

yes, gotta LOVE how a wet dog scents up the home for christmas!!

i have memories of growing up with a wonderful black lab (girl) who was equally resistant to baths. at least he didn't get into it with a SKUNK, cause then it's a tomato juice bath - even MORE fun!

:)

Anonymous said...

Ha.

Petco my friend. Best $35 I've ever spent. They also de-fur the bugger. Thanks for the laugh.

carey said...

ugh. nothing worse than dogs and bathtubs. especially black dogs and white bathtubs. i'm with susan...PETCO all the way.

DeAnn said...

PETCO, huh?! I'm there!

bobbione8y said...

nope.

i don't think you should have Petco get the pleasure of what will surely be a good family memory!!

and i'm pretty sure ridge will get to settle down for those baths a little bit as he grows up more!

plus, he won't need another one for awhile :))