Thursday, September 07, 2006

I've been pounding the pavement for the last 6 months in anticipation of this weekend. It's the day of the big race. Aside from quitting my job 5 years ago to stay home with my kids and start a business, this is the next biggest thing I've ever done. I'm so excited yet scared. A half-marathon has been on my mind for a few years now and here it is, I'm going to do it. Can't back out now. Especially since my good friend and training partner will be waiting for me! I just hope it's an awesome experience. I'll be praying as I always do when I run for God to just help me through to the end. This whole training thing has changed me in a lot of ways. For one, now I actually like water! I never like the taste of water much, I'd prefer an icy Coke. But I made myself drink it after running because I knew it was better for me and I wanted to train the right way. Now I prefer the taste of water. I can drink it all the time and it tastes so good. My skin feels better too. I also appreciate the human body much more. After a 10 miler my knees would hurt so bad, it's hard to walk down the stairs. My friend and I got a huge laugh when we had to skoot down her steps on our butts. That was a sight. My knee still gets a little stiff but how it holds up during all that pounding is incredible. i'm truly thankful for having knees that work and can get me through the training and races. And running with a friend has been awesome. We have become so close going through it together. She has made me a better runner and a better person. So now the training has ended. The days of running those long runs in 100 degrees is over. The gun goes off in 3 days and I'm ready. Ready to run through Sioux Falls and see more of the beauty that God wants to show me.

3 comments:

carey said...

Deann, I'm so excited for you. You will love the whole experience, and be so proud of yourself. Don't worry about your time, just enjoy the morning. Can't wait to hear about the race!! I hope someone will take pictures of you at the end?

bobbione8y said...

You go girl!

i ran that very same race, quite a few years ago (and about 30 pounds ago!!) for the first time.

i remember being nervous at first, with all of the people, and some of them looked very fast and much better at this kind of thing than me.

then, somewhere around the middle, when everything thinned out a bit, it became just another day out on the bike trail, and it was very very good.

i hope that you have that kind of day!! your comments about running have made me wonder what the heck i was thinking when i stopped doing it :) maybe someday ...

bobbione8y said...

how was it?

it was kind of a dreary day, i was thinking of you!!

b