Tuesday, February 05, 2008

I got a call from my brother last week and I knew there was something wrong by the sound of his voice. He told me he had a brutal week. I couldn't imagine what would cause him to have a shaky voice, a quiet demeanor. He told me the story that I have been reading about all week.

http://www.cbs2chicago.com/ has stories, reports and pictures of Randy Salerno, an anchor for the station and a great friend and neighbor of my brother, Brian. They had planned a snowmobiling trip for weeks, taking a small plane to Wisconsin for a weekend of trail running. Brian said the first night they were, he was behind Randy and another guy. He said the driver was going way too fast, missed a turn and crashed. Brian was the first one on the scene. He said he pulled off Randy's helmet, began CPR. It was late, dark, in the middle of nowhere but my brother said it was too late. His chest hit the tree and there was nothing anyone could do. Now the driver of the Snowmobile has been charged in his death because he had been drinking. This guy was a lifelong friend of Randy's and my brother said he is devastated beyond anything you would ever see. I asked Brian how he was doing. It's been brutal, he said. he can't sleep. When he does, dreams and flashbacks wake him up. He can't focus. He is struggling and my heart just sank. A weekend of fun turned into a tragedy that he can't even describe. Brian wanted me to read up on Randy Salerno, the accident and just pray for everyone involved. So that's what I did. I googled it and it wasn't hard to find. It's been on my mind all weekend.

I'm passing the story onto you for your prayers for a family that you may not know. But I truly think all prayers help, even when they are for strangers. and please pray for Brian, my brother. Pray that he can find peace and comfort. Pray that he can find the reasons behind this tragic accident.

I realize more and more everyday how short of time we have on this earth. I told Brian I loved him, which I haven't told him in awhile. It's one of those things that we assume they know but the words aren't said. I am worried for him becuase I know he is taking this very hard and really doesn't know how to overcome it. Thank you for your prayers. They all mean a lot and I know in time, they will be answered.

4 comments:

Chris said...

I will keep your brother and his friend's family in my prayers. Life really is precious isn't it. It is easy to forget that in the rat race of life.

carey said...

deann, don't even know what to say. it's hard to see the people we love suffering and heartbroken. i don't know your brother, but i want to hug him. thank you for the story, for reminding us to say the words.

i love you.

Unknown said...

I will keep him in my prayers...

bobbione8y said...

so much to pray for! i just posted my own prayer request this morning, and then i saw yours.

i'm sorry for your brother deann, will pray for everybody in your story.

b