Tuesday, June 12, 2007

It's been a bad day. I don't even have a cute picture that I can post because nothing is relating to what I'm blogging about. So no picture on this one. Just some venting, spilling my guts and even a little whining in hopes it will make me feel better. I could blame it on PMS or maybe I could chalk it up to just one of those days. Either way, I'm glad it's over and I can start fresh tomorrow. Actually, when I read what I'm writing, my day could have been worse. My kids are healthly, I'm healthy, hubby's healthy, dog' healthy...so what could be so bad? I won't go into any boring details, but getting into a summer routine is really hard. I can't seem to get an anything done. Once I start a project, something else comes up, then I get totally distracted and at the end of the day, nothing gets completely done. I know I've blogged about this problem I have before. I wish there was a pill I could take to cure this crazy siyndrome. So the list keeps piling up. I'm just not good at this balancing thing. Never have been, never will be. That's all there is to it. My hubby on the other hand, is the opposite. Must be why he's a supervisor and has been forever. He gets things done. So why can't I? He tells me I need to prioritize my day. Priorities? Let's see, kids...kids...kids. Then hubby, dog, house stuff, food, bills, then me. To top off the endless lists, my patience is wearing thin on people I'm waiting for. Remember that plumber I contracted for our new bathroom??? Still not here. My Jeep??? Still not here. Someone to come fix our week-old massaging chair??? Still not here. The cable guy to check our signal??? Still not here. Ugh. In cases like today, I am reminded of what my pastor said to do when I'm stressed. Pray and have a Jack Daniels. He was kidding about the JD but the prayer thing comes in handy on a day like today. I envy those of you who can come up with a great Bible passage. I can't come up with one that speaks to me. So I have prayed and just hope for the best tomorrow. There. I vented, spilled my guts to blog friends and probably some complete strangers but I feel better already. Thanks for listening. Bring on Wednesday!

4 comments:

carey said...

deann, i totally understand. i share the same syndrome to some extent. it's very hard to get things done without feeling like you're neglecting the kids, and it's also very hard to keep up with life in the busy summer. here are a few things i try to help ease the stress, maybe they will work for you:
1. give the kids a list of chores that will help you, and do the chores together.
2. once a day, set the timer for 1 hour and tell the kids it's your time to get things done, and they have to go find something constructive to do...without you.
3. make your own list and share it with the kids. say "this is what i'd like to get accomplished today. can you guys help me make it happen?"
4. when you feel that overwhelming stress coming on, LEAVE THE HOUSE. i find i enjoy my kids more when i'm not near the laundry, the dishes, the phone, the computer...go to a park and put in some quality time. then we you come home, things will seem better.
5. keep praying and try to focus on all the GOOD things you do each day. you are an awesome mom and a great photographer, an amazing friend, a very caring person who puts the whole world above herself.
6. come visit me :)
7. let the little things go. it's summer, you can catch up this fall, right?

DeAnn said...

Aw man, Carey. You're the best. Thanks for the list...I'm gonna try them out tomorrow. As for #6, definitely. I'd love to come up, you name the day/time.

Thanks again for your helpful hints. Today was much better and seemed to be more productive in everything I did. That overwhelming feeling seems to overtake me sometimes...shewww, it all seems to work out though. Prayer and friends, couldn't make it without either. See you soon...

Karen said...

DeAnn--this is coming a little late, but I would add one thing to Carey's excellent advice: Start each day praising God. I find that it helps put things into perspective and reminds me that each day is a gift.

:-)

DeAnn said...

Karen- you are right and I needed that reminder. with all the stuff that goes, I sometimes forget that giving it all to God makes it all okay. Yes, I need to remember to do that. Thank you.