Friday, June 11, 2010






We're back from the beautiful Black Hills and finally out of vacation mode. Amazing how long it takes to get back to reality and caught up with everyday life again. It was a great get away. I love the cabin-life...totally relaxing. And with the beauty of the Black Hills surrounding us, "home" feels so far away. Our rented cabin was very cute and cozy. The owner actually works in the athletic department at SDSU so we quickly bonded as Jackrabbit alumni! Highlights included wine tasting at the Prairie Berry Winery, Crazy Horse, Custer State Park, Roughlock Falls, Saloon No.10 in Deadwood, visiting a mine in Lead and of course the Deadwood Mickelson Trail Half Marathon. We tried to see some different things than from 2 years ago when we did all the "touristy" stuff in Rapid. It was great to wake up to deer and turkey in the backyard of the cabin. I think those people who own cabins in the hills are so lucky...to have a retreat like that on the top of Deer Mountain would be amazing. Maybe one day, we'll be lucky enough to have our own.
I finished the half marathon in my 2nd best time ever but let me tell you, it was not easy! I think it was all the vacationing before the race, not being totally acclimated with the altitude and having a hard time getting my mental game on. The 2% incline from mile 6-7 really kicked me. It took another mile to get back in to pace! But I kept praying, thinking about friends, thinking about the kids and Seth waiting at the finish line...that all kept me going. I ended up with a couple of blisters and sore quads from the hills but it was all worth it. This was my 10th half marathon and it is the most beautiful, most well-organized race I do. I just love it. Love the people I meet, love the energy, love the volunteers. It's one I'll be doing as long as I can. Another amazing thing...at the end of the race, I'm hanging out slamming down oranges and someone yells "DeAnn.." I turn and here is our college friend Jen Ham coming at me!!! She saw me come in while waiting for her sister! I couldn't believe it. I was so surprised, we chatted and chatted while my mouth was full of oranges. You just never know who you will see when you're on vacation!
So, our family vacation has come to an end and it was a good one. The best part is creating memories for the kids. That's what means the most to me. Summer is just the best.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Your photos make me homesick! It looks like you had the best possible vacation and the great run was just icing on the cake.

carey said...

you chatted and chatted with jen? what a surprise! :)

looks awesome. maybe MAYBE next year my body will be healed up enough to run that race as well. it is my favorite.

i am proud of you!

Sarah said...

New reader here! Congrats on teh half. I did my first 5k in Sioux Falls last month and am hoping to do a half in Las Vegas in December. Love your blog!