Monday, July 30, 2007

My awesome gardening friends and neighbors have been generously giving me their goods this week. I love garden fresh veggies, mostly because I haven't taken up the challenge of growing my own yet. Anyway, I have this big bag of red, ripe, juicy tomatoes which is great but....no one in my family likes tomatoes! But we love salsa..so I thought I would try and put the tomatoes to use and make some. I went to the internet, googled salsa and was amazed at the thousands of recipes. There were some I couldn't even pronounce, much less make. I am asking my blog friends...is there a recipe for salsa that doesn't involve 5 kinds of peppers that I've never heard of and spices that I know I couldn't find in our town. I am searching for that easy to make salsa, that not only we will love to eat but so these gorgeous tomatoes won't go to waste.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

4 comments:

Karen said...

My salsa changes every time I make it, but here are the basics:
-red or green onion (not both)
-bell pepper in a color that contrasts with color of onion
-fresh cilantro (an absolute MUST)
-garlic (chopped fresh or from a jar)
-lemon or lime juice
-salt

Chop and throw everything together, add lemon or lime and salt to taste. Make sure you have a big bag of chips ready!

The alternate idea, and I can't believe I'm saying this, is to go to WalMart, where my sister says they have a great salsa seasoning packet in the produce aisle.

Karen said...

Oh! I totally forgot the spicy part! Poblano peppers are my fave, because they are mild. Sometimes I chop up one jalapeno and add that, too (wear gloves for the jalps, or you won't be able to take your contacts out for a week). Poblanos are easy to spot because they are usually the biggest of all the fresh peppers, and they are a pretty, medium green. If they're not marked, just ask. I have, on occassion, just used a can or two of chopped green chilis, which you'll find in the Mexican food aisle.

Happy Salsa-ing!

carey said...

deann...i don't have a recipe (shocker) but i love to eat fresh salsa. i'll be right over.

bobbione8y said...

DeAnn,

the recipe I'm making is posted over at my site...not sure if you were going to can the salsa, or just wanted fresh. if it's fresh, i make it almost exactly like Karen, except i use jalapenos...

i sometimes throw a banana pepper in there, too. cause they are yellow. good for contrast, right karen?