Monday, November 20, 2006

Thanks to a reporter on CNN, I had orange hair.

My bh and I were watching the channel Saturday afternoon and he saw it...the hairstyle I was looking for. Now, I have been looking for a change for quite awhile. But I was finding it hard to know what color/style I should be wearing. I would pay big money to have an appointment with Nick on What Not To Wear...he rocks. Anyhoo, after some discussion, I really wanted to get rid of my blond hair and dark roots poking through. My good friend who does my hair could not get me in until the middle of December so I thought, I'll just put a little color in myself just to hold me over until then....

Big mistake.

I went to Walmart, picked out this semi-permanent color. I thought it looked good. So did my bh who has wanted me back to brunette again for some time. I was excited. I was ready to make the subtle change. My girls and I went into the bathroom and proceeded to put in a light brown, Navajo Bronze to be exact. After the 10 minute waiting period, I washed it out, put a towel around my head and then my heart went into my throat. My hair was orange. Not like a pumpkin orange, but more like a reddish orange. My girls just kind of stared and then wanted me to dye their hair pink. I had to get my bh's opinion. He and my son looked and said, it's definitely orange.

So, I had to fix it. I couldn't go to church the next morning with orange hair. I headed back to Walmart, with a hat on of course, and got another box. Dark brown this time, went home and did the whole process again. This time, it worked. It's still a little reddish and not quite the color I was going for but my hairdresser can take care of the rest.

I still went to church. God doesn't care what color my hair is, so I didn't care. I just walked in with my head held high but inside I was saying a little prayer, "Please God don't let anyone comment on my hair." Only one person did. Ssheww...I guess I learned a little lesson and will probably avoid the hair color aisle for a long time.

Who came up with name "Navajo Bronze" anyway? Should be more like "Navajo Bronze but could be Navajo Orange on some people"....Sigh!

5 comments:

carey said...

I bet you're a hot babe even with orange hair...thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

You should ask Karen about orange hair some time! I tried to dye my hair brown about a month ago, but my blond hair came back in little over a week.

bobbione8y said...

oh yeah, been there and done that. i have learned that anything that implies "warmth" in the color - like bronze or golden, translates to O R A N G E.

i have actually dyed my hair twice in a row like that 3 or 4 times in my life.

until i went to the professionals, and they just make you striped :))

Anonymous said...

Chris-- WHO dyed my hair Ronald McDonald Orange?????? You got off easy, DeAnn. It cost me eighty bucks to fix mine. For future reference...you cannot go from blond to ANY shade of red without passing orange. Do not pass go, do not collect two hundred dollars...

Anonymous said...

This was classic. I would have used the word "Autumnal" rather than orange.