Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Is it my age or why can't I just focus? I always knew my worst trait was getting distracted easily but it seems to have taken on a new life. I think it's getting worse. Like today for instance, I have a ton of things to get done around the house and here I am, 10:00 at night and as I look around I really can't tell you what i got done. Ugh. I really need to focus on one thing at a time. I seem to start one thing and before finishing, start on another. While I'm folding laundry, I'll notice some dirty dishes in the sink which I can't stand so I have to quick put them in the dishwasher. Then I'll notice something else sitting out that needs to be dealt with and I'll start it but if my kids or husband come out and need something,

"mom, I can't find my shoes...."
"mom, I need my hair put in a bun...."
"mom, can I have some chocolate milk...
"honey, where is my screwdriver...."

So, I'll help them and forget what I was doing before. The result? There are times when nothing really ever gets done. It's a vicious cycle. I can't seem to stop. Sometimes I think it's a case of being a busy mom, sometimes I think it's a case of, well, getting older?! But as I sit here and look at the half-folded laundry, more dishes in the sink, books on the floor and my husbands hunting clothes laying at my feet, is it really that big of deal? The laundry will get done, it will get put away and everything will be just fine....

Okay, so now what was I gonna do?????? Sigh.....

6 comments:

Susan said...

Take a deep breath. You get tons done in a day, it's just that you can't see it.

I do agree. I think that I have ADD. I never used to have it, but I do now when it comes to housework. You are not alone sister.

Did you find those duvet disks?

carey said...

yep, i have the same syndrome. but i may have found a solution. The List. i write down all the stuff that needs done, and i get total satisfaction out of crossing things off. so i finish them, and then i look at the list and see what else i forgot to do. it makes you feel good at the end of the day to see all that you actually did.

have i ever told you guys that the one sentence that makes me bristle is when the people in my family say "have you seen my...?"

grr. it always means "can you help me find my..." or worse "will you find my....while i sit here and watch tv?"

DeAnn said...

Glad to know i'm not the only one...i've got to try that list idea. Carey, I know exactly what mean. Like we are the only ones in the house that knows where everything is at...sometimes we do but at least try and find it yourselves first! I'll write a list, then maybe i won't feel so defeated by this ADD thing...

I haven't found those duvet disks yet, where did you say we could buy them??

Just so you know, I was in the middle of organizing magazines and doing laundry when I got sucked into the computer...i'll never be cured!

bobbione8y said...

ha. so i just wrote my blog entry about "wandering aimlessly" and THEN i see your entry. i don't think i've ever completed ONE task start to finish in my life!! it's hard. i'm doing one thing and something seemingly MORE IMPORTANT jumps in there and demands my head. all day long.

i marvel at the man i know who can sit and play computer blackjack for about 8 hours without even BREATHING. how does he do that?

on second thought, i'm glad i'm me ;))

Chris said...

No, you are definitely not the only one in this boat. Kids, family, or no it is happening to all of us. I call it the woman syndrome. You should see my office. The same thing happens to me at work. And I have a To Do List too! The things is I forget to look at it or cross things off it! I get busy on a task & the phone will ring or someone will walk in my office and blow what was originally doing in the first place. My life is barely started projects, and this carries into my house as well. I still have painting tape up on half of my hallway, blinds still not up in my rooms. A partly done yard. It goes on and on, and it gives me anxiety frequently. I do remember being able to finish something once upon a time. When was that?

Anonymous said...

Here, here! I think that we value too much the idea of "multi-tasking," when instead we should work on "single-tasking." There is NOTHING in my life that I do singly, without trying to accomplish something else silmultaneously. The list thing rocks, but unfortunately I have one upstairs and one downstairs and sometimes one in the car....I might be getting something done, but it sure doesn't feel like it. This very thing is why I haven't yet completed the Great American Novel.

On the "have you seen my...?" question, I tell the Monkey that if I have to find something for him, he owes me double chores. Works like magic.

Bobbi--the blackjack guy is a slug. Give him one day in your life and he'd be crying like a baby.