Tuesday, September 22, 2009

It's been a whirlwind for the last couple of months, the days are just flying by. I keep asking God to slow down the time a bit but I guess even God is showing me how to enjoy every minute instead of wishing for more hours in a day. Makes sense. The kids are in school, Brody has football everyday, comfirmation classes. the girls start dance again and just when I think my little business from my house is slowing down, I get more appointments booked. My job at the school is great, I simply love it. It's wierd to have a "real job" after all these years. But still getting to be at home with my kids makes it perfect. Everything seems to have fallen into place.

So all of this explains my lack of blogging. I read yours though, everynight, as I sit up late getting caught up on pictures. I always wish my posts were as good as yours, as interesting and inspiring as yours. Lately my words are having a hard time coming out on paper. Which is why I run. It's a great time to think. Someone asked me once how I can run so much. I laugh and say it's the time for just me. Which it is but there is another reason. Before running came along, I had really low self-esteem. I had a hard time believing i was a good mom, a good wife, a good daughter, a good sister, a good friend. I remember praying for something to make me feel pretty, to make me feel like I am doing an okay job. Then God brought me to try out this running gig about 8 years ago. It's the one thing I do that makes me feel good about everything I've done up to this point in my life. Just when I start thinking crummy thoughts, running puts my mind back to where it should be. Aside from the fact it's good for my heart, it's also a theraputic exercise for me! and it seems like I'm getting faster as I get older so that's a good thing!! And now I've introduced my son to the world of 5K's and it's something I can do with just him. It's so special to me.

So last sunday, I ran the Sioux Falls half marathon again and didn't know how I would do. I had the nasty flu the week before which kept me down for a few days. But I came in excited and anxious to run. And run I did. I want you to know, even though my lack of blogging and commenting has happened lately, I thought of every one you. Carey, Chris, Bobbi, Karen, Rani, Jill...you guys are kept me going, especially through mile 9. My kids and my mom were sitting at mile 12 cheering and hollering, that made me pick up speed. I was high fiving complete strangers. When I came down the home stretch and saw the time clock, I almost started crying. I shaved 5 minutes off my time from the june half. 1:41:53. I met up with the Yankton group for a photo and just soaked in all the festivities. My adreline was flowing. It was 13 miles of blessed thoughts of God, Seth, Brody, Madison, Emerson, my friends and family. That's ultimately what made me go faster.

So to answer that question of why I run so much? I just love the thoughts God puts in my head while I'm out there. Seriously. I do it because it makes me feel close to all the people around me. It's awesome and I'll do it as long as I can.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

DeAnn, you rock! I am in awe of you. Total AWE!

Karen said...

I'm crying like a baby! Thank you for sharing this part of yourself, DeAnn. I'm so thankful that God gave you your "thing," and I'm thankful to be in your thoughts while you run!

bobbione8y said...

oh DeAnn....it's SO neat how God uses running in your life to draw you closer to Him!!

did i ever tell you that the FIRST time i allowed myself to think that God was real, that He called Himself Jesus, was during a run? in 1996, those days are still very sweet in my mind :)

carey said...

this one brought me to tears. i get exactly what you are saying, and i do believe God gave you a gift. i was wondering if you were at the sf half. can't believe your time! wow! isn't that more than 30 minutes off your very first half?? incredible.

by the way, you are THE MOST beautiful non-movie star girl i know and you get more beautiful every year.

Anonymous said...

DeAnn,
I am crying too! I am so happy and proud of you.. I am sure God is too :)

I agree with Carey, you are truly beautiful both inside and out! Keep on running, girl!

Karen said...

DeAnn! Send me an email: karen.klasi@gmail.com, please!