Thursday, February 10, 2011

So...the archery shoot happened last weekend and I have to say, it was one of the most fun events I have ever done! Nerves were in full force though...from the "what to wear" nerves to the actual "acting like I know what I'm doing" nerves. With the help of my hubby, I opted to wear jeans, a camo girl hoodie and black boots. Once that was decided, it was a bit easier to move on!

We got to the archery center and I was immediately teamed up with the "black team". My team consisted of 3 celebrity archers, 3 celebrity hunters and one professional archer. Seth and I got my bow out to practice at the 10 yard targets. He adjusted my bow, I kept shooting thinking I was going to be shooting at these targets during the actual challenge. After a dozen arrows, we took a break and started eating from the venison feast table. It was amazing! The food was so good. Then about 10 minutes before the shoot started, I found out the archers shot at the 10 yd targets. The hunters were considered to have more experience so they shot at the 20 yarders. My stomach went to my stomach. I wasn't set up for 20 yards! So I threw on my release, grabbed my bow, dropped my pheasant skewer, grabbed my hubby and ran to the targets set up for hunters! I shot a few arrows, Seth adjusted and we hoped for the best.

There were lots of people watching...a couple hundred but luckily, all the hunters shot at the same time. Schew. They wouldn't notice the beads of sweat forming on my forehead. I shot the first round and got a 23 out of 25. not bad for an amatuer. Really, I didn't have any more experience than the 10 yard shooters...I am just lucky to have a really, really great teacher (who happens to be pretty good looking too). Anyway, second round came up and I was loose and the jitters were gone. I adjusted my sight and much to my surprise and excitement...5 arrows, 5 bullseyes. 25 out of 25. I think Seth was pretty proud.

Our team didn't win the whole event but I tell you what, it was such a fun night. And for such a great cause. Seth and I talked to professional archers, we ate some great food, we met some new friends, hung out with old ones and just had a awesome time. Who knew that shooting at some plain ol' targets could be so much fun?!

2 comments:

carey said...

you are so cool! i can picture it in my head. i bet you were the star of the show, too. you are a great role model for women, deann. i hope you know that.

Karen said...

Thank you for writing this! I so wanted to know how the day went for you!! I think it sounds awesome, and I can just imagine how proud Seth must be!