Thursday, April 09, 2009

It's been a long week. Finally, Easter break has begun. The holiday has a bit of a damper this year...our church and preschool burned Saturday. It's pretty much a total loss. I've been spending the last 3 days helping along with numerous friends in helping to relocate the school. It's so sad. Everything is just gone. But with generous donations, things are going to keep rolling for the preschool. And for the 85 kids that go there. We've been cleaning the building someone has let us use but it's been vacant for a year. Lots of cleaning and repainting. And redoing everything. So we found out yesterday that someone started this fire on purpose. On purpose. Someone is out there thinking it's funny to burn down a place where kids and families spend a great part of their life. My kids are sad. Brody doesn't want the church to change at all when they rebuild. Madison cried.

But there are signs of hope. Like the eternity candle that never extinguished. The kids' artwork that covered the hallways is curled and black, but still hanging on the wall. So Easter will be different this year. But not forgotten. Just more appreciated. They're going gut the church and rebuild it. It will be months before we're back. But all 1200 of us families will be back. I just hope they catch the people that did this. And soon.

5 comments:

bobbione8y said...

DeAnn!

i am so sorry - heard this in the news. i will pray for all of you guys, that God will give you everything you need to rebuild.

i am just so sorry for your kids, but i know our God. He will teach them about Himself thru this.

love ya.
b

carey said...

Wow, I had no idea that was YOUR church in the news. How very sad. I am sorry for you all, but as bobbi said, God will show Himself. He always does, and your church will be stronger for it.

Happy Easter, friend. I love ya.

Unknown said...

That is so terrible. I am sorry for your congregation and your family.
We prayed for you all in church this morning. (I had no idea you were a Lutheran:)

Lessons like this are so hard to swallow but the experience will make us all stronger.

God has a plan for you and for those who were involved in this, too.

I will pray for both of you:)

Karen said...

Oh, DeAnn! This kind of thing is NOT supposed to happen in SD!

I'm so sorry for your church family. I do know, though, that God will give you "beauty for ashes." He's good at that.

Chris said...

No I know it has been a long time since I have caught up with you! I am very sad to hear about this. I hope you will post pics of the church when it is rebuilt.